Buy buy buy

Images From Hikes ...
By Photos by Dan Arnold

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

filters

I got two 52mm filters for my lens for christmas, and I have to admit being a bit stumped what I'm supposed to do with them. I got one that's a UV haze filter, and that actually seems pretty obvious. I haven't had a chance to see if it works, but reducing haze? Hey, I'm all for it. It would make shots like this turn out a lot better:

St. Helens from Silver Star Summit

I also got a circular polarizing filter. I've taken a couple of test shots (they're still in the camera), and, aside from eating light, I'm not sure what this thing is doing for me. In theory, I understand that it reduces reflected light and can add contrast, but what that will actually mean in terms of results is another question. I need to get it outside in plentiful light to see what it's all about. Unfortunately, I'm locked in the horrific wet gray hell of a pacific NW winter right now, so photographic opportunities have been limited.

1 comment:

fabulon7 said...

Sorry so late...

The polarizer will do wonders for landscape shots or anything that has the sky in it. It will remove a lot of the scattered light that makes those kinds of shots look hazy and non-professional. It also will eat about 2 stops of exposure, which can in itself be useful outdoors.

It can also eliminate or reduce reflections on most surfaces (not metal). So you can see through windows that to the unpolarized eye are covered in bright reflections of the dude across the street eating a donut.

Polarizers are awesome, and one of the main things I miss about not using an SLR.